An oral baggage declaration is required for all visitors travelling with only used personal belongings. If they are carrying other items, a Baggage Declaration (C17) form is to be completed to declare the items. All valid receipts for declared items are required.
All visitors to the Bahamas are entitled to an exemption of $100.00 on any dutiable article being brought into the Bahamas. Any value in excess of this, the necessary custom duties and taxes will be applicable.
DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES FOR ALL TRAVELLERS
- Alcoholic Beverages not exceeding one quart of spirits and one quart of wine (Adults only),
- Tobacco not exceeding one pound in weight or 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars (Adults Only).
*Please see Prohibited & Restricted Goods tab for listings*
TO IMPORT AN ANIMAL
Please see attached URL for requirements and application to travel with an animal
- Residents are allowed an exemption of $500.00 exemption, twice in each calendar year on any dutiable article. This exemption is not cumulative and is not transferable to any other person on items brought into the country that is not intended for sale or business purposes. This does not relate to goods shipped as cargo.
All returning residents are required to complete a baggage declaration (C17) form whether they have items to declare or not. Receipts for declared items are required for processing.
- Returning Residents who have been away from the Bahamas for a period for not less than 24 consecutive months and is returning to The Bahamas for permanent residence either for retirement, has been away for full time employment, full time education for post-secondary school at some time during the period of absence; the following exemption shall apply:— (Approval Granted by the Ministry of Finance)
- All household effects books, apparel, footwear, personal adornment, toilet articles and effects, not intended for resale or for any business purpose to the limit of $10,000.00;
- One Vehicle up to a limit in value of $30,000.00.
A person receiving this exemption is not entitled to the general exemption for more than once in every 5 years.
C17 FORM LINK (C17- ACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE DECLARATION)
C18 FORM LINK (C18- UNACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE DECLARATION)
All applications are to be submitted electronically to the Customs Department through the electronic interface system.