The Bahamas Customs & Excise Department (“the Department”) is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. The Department commits to follow the relevant laws with respect to privacy, confidentiality, and data protection.
Any personal information you provide to us will be kept for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which it is collected. If your personal information becomes a part of the Department’s records, we will retain the information in accordance with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.
To protect against identity theft and to protect your privacy online, the Bahamas Customs & Excise Department recommends the following precautions:
Use strong passwords that have:
- at least eight characters.
- a mixture of numbers, letters and symbols.
- both upper and lower cases.
- Have a different password for each website you use
- Never share your passwords with anyone
- Never write your passwords down.
- Before you enter your password check that the website address begins with “https” (the “s” stands for secure).
- When accessing important accounts, always type the address into the address bar yourself and check it before you press enter. This will guard against you clicking a fake link that may redirect you to a malicious website.
What information does the Bahamas Customs & Excise Department Collect?
Information you provide to us
We receive and store any information you provide to us through registration and or your account settings. With the exception of credit card information, we may collect personal information which establishes your identity such as your name, company/business name, physical address, date of birth, email address, telephone number and documents).
Information collected automatically
Whenever you access this site, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser or device, which may include IP address and geographical location.
Requirements under the Data Protection Act
In accordance with the Bahamas Data Protection (Privacy of Personal Information) Act, 2003, The Bahamas Customs & Excise Department covenants the following:
- the data collected and or retained shall be kept only for lawful purposes;
- the data shall not be used or disclosed in any manner incompatible with the purpose for which it has been collected;
- the data shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes, except in the case of personal data kept for historical, statistical or research purposes;
- appropriate security measures shall be taken against unauthorized access to, or alteration, disclosure or destruction of, the data and against their accidental loss or destruction
- Financial data that is collected is used to check the users’ qualification for registration and to bill the user with respect to the option(s) selected.
- Data will not be shared, distributed or otherwise transferred in any way with other agencies without the prior advanced notice to users, except where it’s release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property or safety.
Pursuant to Customs Laws and Regulations, an application for a refund of any amount can be made with the Customs authority provided that a seventy-five-dollar ($75.00) processing fee is paid.
Social Media & Third Party Website Policy and Notice
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party services on this site. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies that are not owned or controlled by the Customs Excise Department.
The Bahamas Customs & Excise Department may generally use its Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter page for the purpose of external relations, communications, information and/or public dialogue. Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter are third-party social networking platforms and are governed by its respective private policies.
You agree that the Bahamas Customs & Excise Department has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party web sites or services.
You further acknowledge and agree that the Bahamas Customs & Excise Department shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods, services or activities available on or through any such web sites or services. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
We strongly advise you to read the terms and conditions and privacy policies of any third-party web sites or services that you visit.
Bahamas Customs & Excise Department