TAX WAIVERS FOR HURRICANE RELIEF SUPPLIES
under the Hurricane Dorian Special Economic Recovery Zone (SERZ) Order of December 4, 2019.
Please note, this Disaster Reconstruction Authority “Special Economic Recovery Zone (SERZ) Relief” Order, 2019, will provide tax waivers until the end of the current fiscal year, June 30, 2020.
VAT-Free Recovery Zones
Under the SERZ Order, the Islands of Abaco, the Abaco Cays, Grand Bahama Island, Sweetings Cay, Deep Water Cay and Water Cay are considered VAT-free zones for the local purchase of goods. In these disaster recovery areas, VAT-registered businesses are expected to waive VAT for all approved goods at the point of sale. For consumers, there is no pre-approval process; everyone shopping inside the recovery area is able to benefit from the VAT waiver at the point of sale.
Tax-Free Cargo Imports Directly into the Recovery Areas
Under the SERZ Order, hurricane relief supplies can also be imported directly to the specified islands tax-free based on the conditions outlined in the Order. Unlike in previous orders, these benefits will not be available to businesses outside of the recovery areas or for cargo imported into ports of entry outside of the recovery areas. Pre-approval from the Ministry of Finance/Department of Inland Revenue is required to benefit from these tax concessions.
- Complete Tax Relief Consolidated Form
- Submit for Pre-Approval to the Department of Inland Revenue or the Ministry of Finance for review at least two days in advance (Submit in-person or via email to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Present certified form to Customs at Port of Entry with the relevant Customs Declaration Forms for on-site clearance and approval inside the recovery areas
Individuals and businesses are eligible to import tax-free goods under the SERZ Order under the following three conditions:
- The applicant is a business or resident of an approved island
- Cargo is imported directly to an approved island
- Imported goods fall under the approved list of items
The final destination for all donated goods must be an approved island.
- The Abaco Cays
- Grand Bahama Islands
- Sweetings Cay
- Deep Water Cay
- Water Cay
The following items are listed in SERZ Order and considered approved goods.
*Subject to additional conditions and requirements
The Customs Department, Ministry of Finance, and Department of Inland Revenue have dedicated officers to support individuals and businesses importing tax-free goods under the Exigency Order
- Telephone Support: 376-7657, 604-3011, 604-3076, 604-3157
- Mark Daniels – email@example.com (Nassau)
- Lorrain Smith – firstname.lastname@example.org (Nassau)
- Clarkson Darville – email@example.com (Nassau)
- Cleveland Dawkins – firstname.lastname@example.org (Abaco)
- Celestine Cox – email@example.com (Freeport)
- Larry Bodie – firstname.lastname@example.org (Freeport)
Ministry of Finance – Revenue Department
Department of Inland Revenue
- Gaynel Rolle –email@example.com, 604-8071 (Nassau)
- Jamal Moss – firstname.lastname@example.org 604-8136 (Nassau)
- Leo Hepburn – email@example.com (Freeport)
- Miriam Fernander- firstname.lastname@example.org (Grand Bahama)
- Shanique Lightbourne- email@example.com (Grand Bahama)
- Crystal Spicer – CrystalSpicer@bahamas.gov.bs, 699-0053 (Marsh Harbor, Abaco)